Also find lots of help at Virtual Horse Ranch HeadQuarters (fansite)
An overview of VHR.
Getting started in VHR II.
Learn how to manage your ranch.
Check on your horses.
Learn about events.
Learn how to buy and sell horses.
Learn about starting and participating in clubs.
Overview of Virtual Horse Ranch II
VHR II is a horse sim game where you take on the role of running a horse ranch where you can breed, train and compete your horses against horses from other ranches. The core gameplay is very similar to that of the original webgame, with new features such as graphical ranches and more customizable clubs have been added.
First, to quit the game, hit the Escape key or F12, or if the console error log is not open, click on the small Q button in the upper-right-hand corner of the client window.
VHR is built on top of the Torque Game Engine, and more information can be found at http://www.garagegames.com. There are also several editors that come with the game, and the client scripts are provided, so you can customize the game, but be careful since updates may alter what you've done, or you may end up breaking the client if you're not careful. If you do choose to modify the data or scripts in the game, be sure to back everything up into a totally separate directory before you do anything in case you make a mistake.
The main gameplay areas of VHR are:
- Your ranch, where you can view your horses and do other things related to being a ranch.
- Your horses, where you can train and maintain them, as well as
place them on the market or lease them out to other players.
- A marketplace where you can buy and sell horses, and put
stallions up for stud.
- An items and inventory area where you can buy, sell and craft items that can be equipped onto your horses so they compete better in events.
- The events section where you can search for, enter, bet on, and create events of your own.
- The ability to create and join Clubs where you can set the rules of the club if you're the club owner.
- A graphical view of your ranch where you can place buildings and other objects, as well as play with your horses by clicking on them and moving them to different locations within your ranch.
Getting Started in VHR II
Welcome! it may take a while to learn everything there is in the game. Most buttons have a short description attached to them that will appear in the "Info" pane in the bottom middle of the client if you wish to know what the button does.
When you start playing, the first thing you will want to do is look at your horses. Go to view your pastures in your ranch overview and you will see a list of your horses. Click on the view button next to the horse's age and breed and you will see the interface used to manage horses. Clicking the back button will take you back to the pastures list, and if you click on "To Stables", a horse will be moved to your stables. Clicking on the "Stables" button in the upper-right corner will then show you your stabled horses. Click on the horse to view it, and then you can manage your horses. Probably the most important thing to do with young horses is to train them, but make sure that you don't train them too hard too early!
Some tips to remember as you start are the following:
- When you click the "Next Turn" button in the upper-left status pane in the client, only horses in your stables will be advanced. The horses in your pastures will not be touched.
- Since all of the horses in your stable will be advanced when you take a turn, it's important to do everything you want with those horses before you take a turn. This includes training them and entering them into events.
- Money is useful for buying things like skills and more horses and making and
buying items, as well as for upgrading your ranch. You don't start with much money, but there are ways to earn money with your horses. Be sure to enter your horses into several trial events each when they're young so you can earn some money and also learn how well they will score in real events.
- Tokens are useful but not necessary for the core gameplay. They are used to build your ranch and start clubs, and also for other things like setting your horse's color and creating foundation pairs.
- At the beginning, clubs and events and ranch building aren't the main focus of the game. Building horses is. Try to train your horses up and breed them to see what kinds of breeds you can get. Check out the different kinds of horses that can be bred using the crossbreeding information provided.